Yes, in general, most Aerie products can be safely washed, but specific instructions may vary depending on the fabric, construction, and any embellishments.
Dos and don’ts
- Sort by color: Separate your Aerie garments based on color. Wash dark, bright, and light-colored items separately to prevent color bleeding or transfer.
- Use a gentle cycle: When using a washing machine, opt for a gentle or delicate cycle to minimize agitation and potential damage to the fabric.
- Wash in cold water: Use cold water or follow the temperature guidelines provided on the care label. Cold water helps prevent color fading and shrinking.
- Use mild detergent: Choose a mild, pH-neutral detergent suitable for delicate fabrics. Harsh detergents can damage the fabric or cause colors to fade.
- Turn items inside out: To protect any printed or delicate details, turn Aerie apparel inside out before washing.
- Use a mesh laundry bag: Place delicate items like bras, lace-trimmed underwear, or items with straps in a mesh laundry bag to prevent them from snagging or tangling with other garments.
- Air-dry or tumble dry on low: Allow Aerie garments to air-dry whenever possible to maintain their shape and avoid shrinkage. If using a dryer, select a low heat or delicate setting.
- Avoid hot water: Unless otherwise specified on the care label, avoid washing Aerie items in hot water, as it can cause shrinkage and damage certain fabrics.
- Don’t use bleach: Avoid using bleach or harsh chemicals on Aerie apparel, as they can weaken the fabric, fade colors, or leave stains.
- Skip fabric softeners: Fabric softeners can leave residues that affect the garment’s breathability and can damage certain fabrics. It’s best to avoid using them.
- Don’t wring or twist: Avoid wringing or twisting Aerie garments to remove excess water, as it can stretch or damage the fabric. Instead, gently squeeze or pat them dry.
- Steer clear of high heat: Avoid using high heat settings when ironing Aerie apparel, as it can scorch or damage the fabric. Follow the instructions for appropriate ironing temperatures.
- Don’t hang wet or damp items: Hanging wet or damp Aerie garments directly on hangers can stretch them out of shape. Instead, lay them flat or drape them over a drying rack to air-dry.
5-step guide to washing Aerie
Check the care label
Before washing any Aerie garment, carefully read the care label or instructions attached to the item. The label will provide specific guidelines on how to wash and care for that particular piece.
Sort by color and fabric type
Separate your Aerie apparel based on color and fabric type. Sort dark, bright, and light-colored items into separate piles. Additionally, separate delicate fabrics or garments with lace or embellishments from sturdier pieces.
Choose the appropriate washing method
Based on the care label instructions, determine whether the garment can be machine washed or if hand washing is recommended. Some delicate items may require hand washing to prevent damage.
Wash with care
If machine washing: Place the Aerie garments in the washing machine, taking care not to overload it. Use a gentle or delicate cycle and select a cold or lukewarm water setting.
Add a mild detergent suitable for delicate fabrics. Optionally, place delicate items in a mesh laundry bag to protect them during the wash.
If hand washing: Fill a basin or sink with lukewarm water and add a small amount of mild detergent. Submerge the Aerie garments in the water and gently agitate them for a few minutes. Rinse the garments thoroughly with clean water to remove all traces of detergent.
After washing, choose the appropriate drying method as specified on the care label.
Air drying: Lay the garments flat on a clean, dry towel or hang them on a drying rack away from direct sunlight or heat sources.
Tumble drying: If the care label permits, place the Aerie items in the dryer on a low heat or delicate setting. Remove them promptly once dry to prevent wrinkling.
Can I machine wash all Aerie garments?
While many Aerie garments can be safely machine washed, it’s essential to check the care label or instructions on each item. Some delicate or embellished pieces may require hand washing to avoid damage. Always follow the specific guidelines provided on the care label to ensure the best care for your Aerie apparel.
Is it safe to tumble dry Aerie clothing?
Tumble drying Aerie apparel is generally safe, but it’s crucial to review the care label instructions. Some items may require air drying to maintain their shape and prevent shrinkage. If the care label permits, tumble dry on a low heat or delicate setting. To be safe, always follow the care instructions provided for each specific garment.
Do I need to use a mesh laundry bag for all Aerie items?
Using a mesh laundry bag can be beneficial for delicate Aerie items, such as bras, lace-trimmed underwear, or garments with straps, to protect them during the wash. However, not all Aerie apparel requires a mesh laundry bag. Check the care label instructions for any specific recommendations on using a laundry bag. When in doubt, it’s better to err on the side of caution and use a laundry bag to prevent damage to delicate items.
Final thoughts 💭
Washing Aerie apparel requires attention to the specific care instructions provided on each garment’s care label. It is important to sort garments by color and fabric type before washing. Machine washing is suitable for many Aerie items, but delicate pieces may require hand washing. Using a gentle or delicate cycle with cold or lukewarm water is recommended, along with a mild detergent for delicate fabrics.
Optionally, a mesh laundry bag can be used to protect delicate items during the wash. After washing, the appropriate drying method should be followed, whether air drying flat or using a low heat or delicate setting in the dryer. It is crucial to always refer to the care label instructions for accurate guidelines on washing Aerie apparel, as some items may have specific requirements or restrictions.