Yes, you can wash blankets with sheets, but there are a few considerations to keep in mind to ensure proper cleaning and avoid potential damage to your linens.
Make sure your washing machine can handle the combined weight and size of the blankets and sheets. Overloading the machine can lead to ineffective cleaning and potential damage to both the linens and the machine. If you have a large or heavy blanket, it may be best to wash it separately.
Dos and don’ts of washing sheets with blankets
- DO read care labels on both blankets and sheets, following the specific washing and drying instructions.
- DO sort laundry by color (whites, lights, and darks) to prevent color bleeding.
- DO use a gentle laundry detergent, preferably one that is designed for delicate fabrics.
- DO consider using a fabric softener or dryer sheets to help keep blankets and sheets soft and static-free.
- DO ensure that your washing machine can handle the combined weight and size of the blankets and sheets. If necessary, wash them separately to avoid overloading the machine.
- DO use a gentle wash cycle, especially for delicate fabrics, to minimize potential damage.
- DO wash blankets and sheets with other similar fabric types to ensure even and effective cleaning.
- DON’T mix fabrics with different care instructions, as this can lead to damage or improper cleaning.
- DON’T wash new, brightly colored items with lighter ones, as the colors may bleed and stain other linens.
- DON’T use bleach on colored blankets or sheets, as it may cause fading or discoloration.
- DON’T overload the washing machine, as this can lead to ineffective cleaning and potential damage to both the linens and the machine.
- DON’T use high heat when drying delicate fabrics, as this can cause shrinkage or damage. Opt for a lower heat setting or air drying if possible.
- DON’T ignore stains; treat them with a stain remover or pre-treat them before washing to increase the chances of successful removal.
- DON’T use excessive amounts of detergent, as this can leave residue on your linens and cause skin irritation. Follow the manufacturer’s recommendations for the appropriate amount of detergent.
FAQs washing blankets with sheets in the washing machine
Can I wash blankets and sheets together in the washing machine?
Yes, you can wash blankets and sheets together as long as they have similar fabric types, care instructions, and colors. Be cautious not to overload your washing machine.
What is the best way to sort my blankets and sheets before washing?
Sort your laundry by color (whites, lights, and darks) and fabric type to prevent color bleeding and ensure proper cleaning.
What wash cycle (washing machine setting) should I use for washing blankets and sheets together?
Use a gentle or delicate wash cycle, especially for delicate fabrics, to minimize potential damage and ensure effective cleaning.
How can I prevent color bleeding when washing colored blankets and sheets together?
Sort laundry by color and wash similar colors together. Test new, brightly colored items for colorfastness before washing them with lighter linens.
What is the best way to dry my blankets and sheets after washing?
Use a lower heat setting or air dry delicate fabrics to prevent shrinkage or damage. You can use dryer balls or dryer sheets to help reduce static and keep your linens soft.
Final thoughts 💭
It is possible to wash blankets and sheets together in the washing machine, as long as they have similar fabric types, care instructions, and colors. When washing, sort your laundry by color and fabric type, and use a gentle detergent designed for delicate fabrics.
Opt for a gentle or delicate wash cycle, and pre-treat stains before washing. Avoid using bleach on colored linens and instead use color-safe or oxygen-based alternatives. You can use fabric softener or dryer sheets to keep your linens soft and static-free. Finally, dry your blankets and sheets on a low heat setting or air dry them, using dryer balls or sheets to maintain softness and reduce static.
READ NEXT: Can you wash towels and sheets together?