Instead of washing electronics, it is recommended to clean them using a dry microfiber cloth or an electrostatic duster to remove dust and debris from surfaces without introducing moisture. For more stubborn stains or grime, you can use a soft, dry brush or a cotton swab dipped in rubbing alcohol to gently clean the affected area.
If you need to remove dirt or debris from keyboards or other computer peripherals, compressed air can be used to blow out the debris without damaging the device.
Reasons why you should NOT wash electronics
- Damage to electronic components: Water and moisture can cause malfunctions or short circuits in the electronic components, leading to permanent damage.
- Risk of electrocution: When washing electronics, there is a risk of electrical shock if the device is still plugged into a power source.
- Corrosion: Water and cleaning products can cause corrosion or rust on metal parts or components, leading to further damage.
- Voiding warranties: Many electronics come with warranties that can be voided if the device is damaged due to improper cleaning or maintenance.
- Difficult to dry: It can be difficult to completely dry electronic devices after washing them, which can lead to further damage or malfunction.
- Potential for residue: Cleaning products can leave residue on electronic devices that can be difficult to remove, leading to a buildup of grime over time.
- Delicate components: Electronics contain delicate components that can be easily damaged by rough handling or exposure to water.
- Loss of data: If the device contains important data or files, washing it can result in the loss of this data.
- Risk of fire: If an electronic device is not fully dry before being used, there is a risk of a fire starting due to a short circuit.
What you should do if you accidentally wash electronics
Accidentally washing electronics can be a stressful situation, but there are steps you can take to minimize the damage. The first thing to do is to turn off the device and remove the battery if possible. Do not try to turn the device on or charge it until it has completely dried out, as this can cause further damage.
Next, remove any excess water or moisture from the device using a dry cloth or paper towel. Then, place the device in a dry and warm location, such as in front of a fan or near a heat source, to allow it to dry out completely. It’s important to be patient during this process as rushing to use the device before it is fully dry can cause further damage or malfunctions. Once the device is completely dry, try turning it on to see if it still works.
If it does not work, it may need to be repaired or replaced. Remember to always follow the manufacturer’s instructions for cleaning and maintenance of electronic devices to avoid accidental damage.