Dos and don’ts of washing hair extensions
5-step guide to washing hair extensions
Detangle the extensions – Start by gently brushing or combing through the extensions to remove any tangles or knots. Use a wide-toothed comb or a specialized hair extension brush to prevent damaging the hair.
Wet the extensions – Wet the extensions with lukewarm water, making sure to saturate them completely. Be careful not to soak the wefts or clips, as this can loosen them.
Shampoo the extensions – Apply a small amount of sulfate-free shampoo to your hands and work it into the extensions, focusing on the roots and mid-lengths. Avoid scrubbing or rubbing the extensions, as this can cause tangling and matting.
Condition the extensions – Rinse out the shampoo with lukewarm water and apply a small amount of conditioner to the ends of the extensions. Use a wide-toothed comb to distribute the conditioner evenly and leave it in for a few minutes before rinsing thoroughly with cool water.
Dry the extensions – Gently squeeze out any excess water from the extensions and lay them flat on a clean towel to air dry. Avoid using a blow dryer or other heat styling tools, as these can damage the extensions. Once the extensions are dry, you can style them as desired using low heat settings.
FAQs washing hair extensions
Can I use regular shampoo and conditioner on my hair extensions?
No, you should avoid using regular shampoo and conditioner on your hair extensions. Regular hair care products can contain harsh chemicals that can damage the extensions, causing them to become dry, brittle, or tangled. Instead, you should use sulfate-free shampoo and conditioner specifically formulated for hair extensions.
How often should I wash my hair extensions?
The frequency of washing your hair extensions will depend on how often you wear them and how much product you use. Generally, it is recommended to wash your hair extensions every 15-20 wears or every 4-6 weeks. However, if you use a lot of styling products or have been in a humid or sweaty environment, you may need to wash your extensions more frequently.
Can I swim with my hair extensions?
While you can swim with hair extensions, it is not recommended to submerge them in chlorinated or saltwater. Chlorine and salt can dry out the extensions, causing them to become brittle and damaged. If you do swim with your extensions, make sure to wear a swim cap and rinse your hair thoroughly with fresh water afterward. Additionally, it is recommended to use a leave-in conditioner or hair oil to protect your extensions before swimming.
Can you wash your hair with extensions?
Yes, you can wash your hair with extensions, but it is important to take certain precautions to ensure that the extensions are not damaged or loosened during the process. Here are some tips on how to wash your hair with extensions:
- Use a sulfate-free shampoo: Sulfates can strip the hair of its natural oils and cause the extensions to dry out and become brittle. Look for a shampoo that is specifically formulated for hair extensions or one that is sulfate-free.
- Wash gently: Be gentle when washing your hair with extensions. Avoid rubbing or scrubbing the extensions as this can cause them to become tangled or damaged. Instead, use a gentle, circular motion to massage the scalp and the roots of the extensions.
- Condition well: Use a conditioner that is specifically formulated for hair extensions. Apply it to the ends of your hair and work your way up to the roots, making sure to avoid the bonds or attachments of the extensions. Rinse thoroughly.
- Air-dry: Avoid using a hair dryer or other heat styling tools on your extensions, as the heat can damage the bonds or attachments. Instead, gently squeeze out excess water from your hair and let it air dry.
- Brush carefully: Use a soft-bristled brush to detangle your hair, starting at the ends and working your way up to the roots. Avoid pulling or tugging on the extensions, as this can cause them to become loose or fall out.
By following these tips, you can safely and effectively wash your hair with extensions and keep them looking healthy and beautiful.