Yes, you can wash mohair, but you need to take care not to damage the fibers or cause the item to shrink.
Don’t wash mohair in the washing machine. It can change shape easily if not treated delicately.
Dos and don’ts of washing mohair
- Do use lukewarm water, as hot water can cause the fibers to shrink.
- Do use a mild detergent that is gentle on delicate fibers.
- Do gently swish the garment in the water to distribute the detergent.
- Do rinse the garment thoroughly to remove all soap.
- Do press the excess water out of the garment gently, but do not twist or wring it.
- Do reshape the garment and lay it flat to dry on a clean, dry towel, away from direct sunlight or heat sources.
- Do use a mesh laundry bag if washing mohair in a washing machine to protect it from snagging or stretching.
- Don’t use bleach or fabric softeners, as they can damage the fibers.
- Don’t soak the garment for an extended period of time, as this can cause it to stretch or lose its shape.
- Don’t wring or twist the garment, as this can damage the delicate fibers and cause it to lose its shape.
- Don’t hang the garment to dry, as this can cause it to stretch out of shape or create hanger marks.
- Don’t rub or scrub the garment, as this can cause pilling or damage to the fibers.
5 step guide to washing mohair
Fill a basin or sink with lukewarm water and add a small amount of mild detergent. Mix the detergent into the water until it’s evenly distributed.
Immerse the mohair garment in the water and gently swish it around to distribute the detergent. Make sure the garment is completely submerged, and avoid agitating or scrubbing it.
After a few minutes of soaking, drain the soapy water and refill the basin with clean, lukewarm water. Gently swirl the garment around in the clean water to rinse out all of the soap.
Once the garment is thoroughly rinsed, gently press down on it to remove excess water. Do not wring, twist, or scrub the garment, as this can damage the fibers.
Lay the garment flat on a clean, dry towel and reshape it to its original size and shape. Let the garment air dry on the towel, away from direct sunlight or heat sources. Avoid hanging the garment to dry, as this can cause it to stretch out of shape.
Final thoughts 💭
Mohair can be washed with care to keep its softness and maintain its shape. It’s important to use lukewarm water and a mild detergent, and to avoid wringing, twisting, or scrubbing the garment during the washing process.
Mohair should be gently pressed to remove excess water and reshaped to its original size and shape before being laid flat to air dry. Following these simple steps will help you keep your mohair items looking and feeling their best for years to come. If you’re unsure about washing a delicate mohair item, it’s always best to seek the advice of a professional cleaner.